Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Watered Melon!

Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been here! The last few weeks have been busy, what with the Independence Day holiday and then my nephew's wedding the following weekend. I was honored to be the pianist at the wedding, so of course that meant a lot of practice time last week. It was a beautiful wedding, and although the temperature was in the 90's and the reception hall wasn't air conditioned, the beverages were cold and the memories priceless!

A lot of experiementation was involved in the making of this card, and it seemed like it took FOREVER to finish. I dyed the Stampin' Up! Organza ribbon by dipping it in a mix of water and Melon Mambo ink refill; that was a lot of trial and error before I was finally satisfied with the result. Then I experimented with using a long length of cardstock punched out with a border punch and clipping it in order to "bend" it around the outer edge of the oval centerpiece. It's not perfect, but I'm rather pleased with how it turned out. I also made myself open up and finally use the Vintage Trinkets that I've been hoarding for a while now!

Recipe
Stamps: Simply Soft (hostess), Petite Pairs
Paper: Basic Gray textured and Whisper White CS, Neutrals Patterns Designer Series paper stack
Ink: VersaMark, Melon Mambo ink refill, Old Olive & Daffodil Delight markers
Accessories: Big Shot, Originals Ovals die, Scallop Trim border punch, 1-1/4" & 1-3/8" circle punches, 1/16" circle handheld punch, Vintage Trinkets, Organza ribbon, Black embossing powder, Neutrals Watercolor Wonder crayons, Aquapainter

I stamped the flower image in VersaMark, sprinkled the embossing powder on and heat set it. I colored the flower petals with the Aquapainter using the dye that I used on the ribbon. I ended up coloring outside the lines, which is why I added the gray "shadows" around the flowers hoping to camoflauge my mistake! (Unfortunately, you can see it if you look close.) The stems and leaves were colored with marker, and there IS Daffodil Delight in the flower stamens (is that what they're called??) Anyway, hope you like my Watered Melon experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment