Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Retired x 2

This is one of those projects that didn't turn out at all close to what it started out to be! Does that ever happen to you? My son hadn't gotten a Father's Day card for his dad, so I of course offered to make him one. The trouble is, my husband Butch has gotten so many homemade cards over the years that it's hard to come up with something that will still impress him! I used the Happy Father's Day greeting from the set All Holiday, which is retiring at the end of this month. "Perfect," I thought, "to use a retired stamp set for a card for a retired guy!" 
So I went through my trusty binder of card sketches, and thought that SC332 might work. Then I started going through my patterned papers, hoping that a color scheme might jump out at me. A half-hour later I was still waiting for inspiration to strike, and out of desperation just chose to use Basic Gray as a starting point since my husband has gray hair. Real technical, huh? I didn't like any of the color combos suggested by the Color Coach, so chose to use Night of Navy and Cherry Cobbler because I thought they both looked good with the gray. With the hard part done, I thought the card would come together like a breeze. Wrong! First the size of the stamp didn't work with the sketch, so I scrapped that and ended up with this! Once I got the papers cut and adhered, and the image stamped and layered and popped on, I found I had another problem: how to fill up the rest of the space! I happened to have some silver stars still lying around from my graduation cards, so I cut some more out of the navy and cobbler and scattered them around.

The funny thing is, this card must have been fated to turn out this way! On Sunday when my husband opened his present from Jayson, I had to laugh when I saw that it was a red, white & blue patriotic-themed fleece throw that Jayson had made in school. The card coordinated perfectly with the throw, and Dad loved them both!

Recipe
Stamps: All Holidays (retiring this month!)
Paper: Basic Gray, Night of Navy, Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White & Brushed Silver cardstock; Night of Navy and Cherry Cobbler patterned paper (Regals Collection)
Ink: Night of Navy & Cherry Cobbler markers
Accessories: Stars #2 Original Die, Big Shot, silver brad, Stampin’ Dimensionals

Isn't the throw just gorgeous? Butch is actually planning to hang it on the wall where he can admire it all the time. Jayson did a fantastic job!

No comments:

Post a Comment